Cire Trudon

The Cire Trudon candles are made out of certified vegetal waxes and beeswax. All wicks are made of cotton. They are specially adapted to each fragrance according to their burn characteristics. Each glass is crafted by artisans in Vinci, Italy. Their shape is inspired by the one of a champagne bucket. All candles are manufactured in the Cire Trudon workshops in Normandy, France.


The Cire Trudon range


MAISON TRUDON From past to present

In 1643, a merchant named Claude Trudon arrived in Paris. He soon became the owner of a store on rue Saint-Honoré through a fruitful marriage. In addition to selling spices and other goods, Claude Trudon also made candles and supplied local customers and parishes.

The year Louis XIV was crowned King of France, Claude Trudon opened his first family business, a small manufacture under his family name which was about to bring fortune to his heirs. His son Jacques took over, running the store, producing wax and candles. In 1687, he became apothecary and distiller of Queen Marie-Thérèse at Versailles.

At the time, wax was under close scrutiny : it was very carefully collected from beehives, then cleansed and whitened through series of water baths. It was later cut in long strips and dried in the open air. It is the sunlight that also contributed to whiten the wax. Because of the extreme purity of the wax, the Trudon candles would provide magnificent glow, especially through their delicate edge.

In 1737, the family heir Jérôme Trudon purchased one of the most famous wax producing manufactures of the time: la Manufacture Royale de Cire (the Royal Wax Manufacture). Maison Trudon provided to the royal court of France under Louis XIV, as well as to the most prominent churches in Paris and the region. More than a hundred people worked at the time in a set of large buildings. Some of the buildings of the old Manufacture still stand today, in the town of Antony, south of Paris.

They are listed as historical monuments. At the time, the Trudon family owned the largest and most respected wax manufacture in the kingdom of France. In 1762, a whole section of the Encyclopédie Raisonnée des Sciences, des Arts et des Métiers (the French version of the Cyclopaedia) is devoted to l’Art du Cirier (the Craft of candle making).

The Manufacture went through the ages by modernizing itself and adapting to its time. In 1889, it was awarded a gold medal at the Paris Universal Exposition and obtained other rewards for its know-how and constant innovation in the field of candles. Cire Trudon still manufactures churches candles and taper candles, and has developed a private label activity over the last decades. Cire Trudon currently supplies some of the most prestigious brands in the world from its factory in Normandy, France.